Sunday, July 24, 2011

Holiday Spirit

Originally Posted to OGR 11/29/2009

Now that we have all survived Thanksgiving and Black Friday, we are in
the lull before the storm of holiday fun and frivolity coming up in
December. It’s time to trim the tree and decorate the house for
Christmas.

Glorious Anticipation

While I was growing up, we always had live Christmas trees. Somehow my
family avoided those awful artificial trees that appeared on the scene
in the 60s. You remember them, don’t you? They were made of aluminum
and since you couldn’t hang electric lights on them, they had a
floodlight at the base with a color wheel that bathed the tree
alternately in Blue, Red, Green and Yellow light. To me, there was no
replacing the sight and scent of a Douglas Fir, white pine or cedar
tree all covered with my favorite ornaments, tinsel and lights. One
advance I really appreciated was the replacement of the 12 volt strings
with the 120 volt bulbs. Now you don't have to be constantly searching
for the one burned out bulb that made the whole string of lights go
out. The technology has progressed beyond that to smaller bulbs and
even LED lights. But my favorite kind was the bulbs that were out in
the late 1960s and early 1970s. The full sized bulb does get hot, but
there is nothing like the warm cheery glow that fills the room.

Did You Have a Favorite Ornament?

Buying and trimming the tree was always a family affair. My brothers,
sister and I all had a place on the tree that was ours to hang our
favorite ornament. The chair in the living room where I usually sat was
right next to the place on the tree that had my favorite ornament. I
remember many a childhood hour sitting in that chair, looking at that
ornament, anticipating the coming Christmas and enjoying this time of
year. What great memories. Oh MY!

Copyright 2009 Rick Wrigley

No comments:

Post a Comment