Sunday, July 24, 2011

Longer Shadows

Originally Posted on OGR 09/13/2009

The hazy summer skies are turning a deeper autumn blue and the air is
clearer, less humid. There is a hint of the coming winter in the early
mornings and late evenings. Already the leaves are turning and
beginning to fall. The sound of lawnmowers is giving way to rakes and
leaf-blowers. Leaf blowers, now there is a sound that did not come from
our youth. One of the chores I had as a teenager was to rake the yard
whenever it needed it every week or two. I have continued that
throughout most of my adult life. Oh - yes I have succumbed to the use
of the leaf blower, but in the end, I still have to use the rake to
complete the job. The other difference is that now when I put the leaf
blower up and grab the rake, I have OGR pumping out into the yard and
the this part of the job is a lot more enjoyable than it used to be.
There is something poetic about a man and his rake surrounded by the
soundtrack of his life.

The Solitude of the Rake

One of the things that I can’t help but notice when my eyes are down on
the leaves as I rake is that my shadow is getting longer as the fall
progresses. Memories flood my mind as the rake takes up the rhythm of
the music that swirls around in the actinic light with the leaves. The
older I get, the more I appreciate the memories I have made over my
life. They become more precious every day, as do the friends I have
made over the years. The richness of life is not found in gold, large
estates or fast cars, but in precious friends and memories. Oh My –
yes!

Copyright 2009 Rick Wrigley

No comments:

Post a Comment