Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The End of June

Posted to OGR on 06/27/2010

Where does the time go? It seems like it was last week that we were celebrating Memorial Day and watching the kids spill out of school for Summer Vacation. Now, we are getting ready for the Fourth of July. Summer is in full swing and in my part of the country this may become the hottest June on record if the heat sticks around the final few days of the month.

Sunday mornings are always a bit nostalgic for me. Each week at this time, I sit down to write this column and listen to “Sunday Morning Coming Down” with DJGlee on Our Generation Radio. So I wander the pathways of my memory that connects old friends, school days, summer jobs and family vacations. Accompanying me on these travels are the many songs that made each memory special. These memories range from gatherings of my large family, to parties and trips with my friends to times where I was alone, lying on my back under the trees in my back yard listening to the radio and thinking “I would like to do that, someday”. This summer, in addition to my shows on Our Generation Radio, I am hosting a Blues and Classic Soul show on WUSC-FM (90.5 in Columbia, SC and streaming at wusc.sc.edu) every Wednesday morning from 9-noon Eastern Time. So, when I play a song, sometimes I wonder if there is someone out there who is lying on their back under the trees in their back yard listening to the radio and thinking “I would like to do that, someday”. The world turns and the cycle of life is complete.



Copyright 2010 Rick Wrigley

No comments:

Post a Comment