Sunday, May 24, 2020

What do you think?

The unofficial start of summer is upon us. Memorial Day is tomorrow and all over the country people can start wearing white. Everywhere but here in the Deep South, where we wear white all year. Down here, we start wearing seersucker this weekend. Just to be different.

But this year, with Coronavirus, things are a bit different. At least I hope that people are maintaining social distancing. I know, restrictions are being loosened but the virus is still amongst us and is still deadly to at risk folks. Just ask the folks in eldercare, Montgomery Alabama and Rio de Janeiro.

Folks I know that live on the coast of South Carolina are reporting heavy traffic and I am seeing posts of beaches that look pretty crowded, even taking into account that long lenses make people appear to be closer together than they really are.

But I’ve noticed something this Memorial Day Weekend that makes my heart sing. I don’t know if it is because of the slower pace of life in COVID-19 is giving folks more time to ponder the meaning of Memorial Day or what. But I’m seeing a lot of folks discuss the real meaning of Memorial Day.

Let me preface what I am going to say by stating that I highly honor the veterans of this great country, and those who are currently serving in the armed forces. I served in the Navy from 1963 through 1969. I believe these groups of heroes deserve their day. But Memorial Day is not that day.

The Wikipedia definition of Memorial Day sums it up nicely; “Memorial Day (previously, but now seldom, called Decoration Day) is a federal holiday in the United States for honoring and mourning the military personnel who had died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. The holiday is now observed on the last Monday of May, having been observed on May 30 from 1868 to 1970.”

Back in 1964 Memorial Day was celebrated on Saturday May 30th as this was before the day was normalized to the last Monday of May. I remember getting up early that day and donning my Naval ROTC uniform to march in the Memorial Day Parade. It was a clear warm day and I knew that I was going to drench my second set of Khaki’s that week, having worn my other khaki uniform the Thursday before; drill day. So instead of carrying my uniform over to the cleaners that day, I waited until after the Memorial Day parade to carry them both over.

I distinctly remember thinking of those sailors who died in the North Atlantic from U-boat torpedoes or in the South Pacific Kamikaze attacks as I marched. I remember thinking of our soldiers who died in North Africa, Italy and Europe. Stories my uncle told me about the guys he knew who died while serving under George S Patton in those bloody campaigns. I remember thinking that this was THEIR day, the day we remembered THEM.

That Memorial Day was my second parade in a Navy uniform in Columbia, The first was on November 11, 1963 a Monday. That day I was proud to honor the living veterans we had amongst us. That day I thought about my Aunts and Uncles who wore the uniform during WWII and Korea. Vietnam was still mostly in the future.

The day we honor our active servicemen is Armed Forces Day. In the United States, Armed Forces Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. It falls near the end of Armed Forces Week, which begins on the second Saturday of May. First observed on May 20, 1950, the day was created on August 31, 1949 to honor Americans serving in the five U.S. military branches – the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard. THIS is the day we should be honoring our brave service men and women who are actively protecting our country. You may say that this holiday is not as prominent as the other two. I say back that it is up to us to make it so. Give our servicemen and women THEIR day.

Never while marching in Memorial Day or Veteran’s day parades did I think of being honored but rather honoring others. I would have been uncomfortable with that thought. I have asked active service people over the years and they all felt the same; that each group deserves their own day.

I’m glad to see this year that others apparently feel the same way. I saw a Meme on Facebook a couple of days ago that showed a Veteran standing at the Vietnam Wall on the National Mall in Washington. He has his hand on the wall, and there is a ghostly image on the other side of the wall holding his hand up to the Vet’s hand. On his side of the wall there was a caption saying “Memorial Day is his day!” the caption on the Vet’s side of the was said “Veteran’s Day is his day!” The Meme would have been perfect if it showed active service men and women observing this with the caption “Armed Forces Day is their day!” Oh MY!

No comments:

Post a Comment